Volume 12 Week 5

Tuesday, Nov. 6


Posted Oct. 24

Posted March 22

Posted March 16

online survey

Orléans Ward
Bob Monette

Beacon Hill,
Cyrville Ward
Tim Tierney




High School Soccer
Louis Riel comes up short in heart-stopping 'AA' final
By Fred Sherwin
Orléans Online

In what may go down as the most exciting 'AA' senior boys soccer championship in NCSSAA history, John McCrae Secondary School beat the Louis Riel Rebelles 3-2 on Thursday in a marathon match that included a penalty goal in the final second of overtime and 22 OT penalty kicks.

The eventual hero of the game was John McCrae keeper Julian Riggins who stopped the Rebelles final penalty kick taken by Louis Riel keeper Wesley Aucoin and then stepped up and scored on Aucoin to win the game.

"That was my first goal," said a chilled, but totally thrilled Riggins after the game. "I was so cold I wasn't sure I'd even be able to kick the ball. I just told myself don't trip and hit the ball and it went in."

The Louis Riel Rebbelles went toe-to-toe with John McCrae High School in the senior boys 'AA' soccer championship on Thursday. Unfortunately, they lost 3-2 on penalty kicks. Fred Sherwin/Photo

The two goalies were forced to take the final penalty kicks after their respective teams remained deadlocked at 5-5 following the first 20 shots -- 10 by each team.

It was a fitting end to a see-saw game between two evenly matched teams. John McCrae got on the board first on a goal by Anisul Haque in the 21st minute. Taylor Lanos then tied the game for Louis Riel in the 49th minute.

The Rebelles appeared to score the go ahead goal late in the game on a throw in that somehow bounced over Riggins head and into the net, but it had to be touched by a Rebelles player first.

With the score tied 1-1, the game went into extra time consisting of two 10 minute halves. During the first overtime period Brendan Guilmette scord on a perfectly placed free kick from 40 yards out that careened off the near post into the back of the net to give John McCrae the advantage.

The lead held up through the remainder of the first overtime period and well into the second extra session. Then as the final seconds were ticking away Louis Riel was awarded a free kick from 30 yards out that touched off a mad scramble in the box. The ball eventually landed at the feet of Jacob Weber, forcing a John McCrae defender to pull him down from behind which resulted in a penalty shot that Wassim Djouib cooly booted into the net to force the marathon penalty kick session and Riggins game-winning goal.

The result was heart-breaking for the Rebelles who had a number of chances to win the game, but couldn't get the job done.

The frustration was etched on Aucoin's face after Riggin's beat him on the final penalty kick.

“I think it was ridiculous that we went through the whole team (in penalty kicks),” said Aucoin, who never in a million years expected the game would come down to the two goaltenders.

Louis Riel's junior team didn't fare much better, although they had the luxury of playing indoors at the Louis Riel Dome. Despite the obvious home field advantage, they lost 1-0 to Mother Teresa on an early goal that held up for the rest of the game.

(Posted 8:30 a.m., Nov. 4)

Return to top

Return to Front Page



Posted Oct. 245 2

Click on image




Orléans Online © 2001-2016 Sherwin Publishing