Volume 12 Week 5

Tuesday, Nov. 6


Posted Oct. 24

Posted March 22

Posted March 16

online survey

Orléans Ward
Bob Monette

Beacon Hill,
Cyrville Ward
Tim Tierney




Senior Boys Football
Missed opportunities, mistakes cost Knights trip to Toronto
By Fred Sherwin
Orléans Online

St. Peter Knights running back Jaylen King turns the corner with a Frontenac Falcons defender in hot pursuit during the OFSAA semi-final in Kingston on Saturday. Fred Sherwin/Photo


The St. Peter Knights senior boys football team will have to wait another year for a shot at a berth in the National Capital Bowl, after losing 46-20 to the Frontenac Falcons in their OFSAA bowl semi-final on Saturday.

In a game that had a equal share of big plays and big mistakes, it was the Falcons who made more big plays and fewer big mistakes on their way to a 42-20 win over the Knights.

The Knights took advantage of a strong tail wind to take an early 7-0 lead over the Falcons on a 27-yard pass from Jake Molinski to Tyrone Pierre on their third play from scrimmage. The tables were quickly turned on the Knights in the second quarter, however, as the Falcons scored 18 unanswered points with the wind at their backs.

Frontenac's first touchdown came on a 50-yard bomb from Tyler Filson to Mitch O'Connor. They added another point on the ensuing kickoff when Nick Moren booted the ball through the end zone.

After the Knights went three and out, the Falcons marched the ball down field for their second touchdown of the quarter on a 13-yard by Connor Carnegie.

The Knights caught a break on their next series when the Falcons fumbled the punt return away. Jeremy Salgo came up with the ball to give St. Pete's a fresh set of downs near midfield, but the Knights drive stalled at the Falcons 25-yard line. Rather than attempt a 33-yard field goal, they tried to catch the Falcons off guard with a quick kick.

The Knights would catch another break after the change of possession when Jesse Holder intercepted Filson to once again give the Knights the ball near midfield.

They picked up a first down and were about to move the chains again when Alex Johnny lost the handle on a shovel pass from Molinski which ended up in the hands of a Frontenac player.

With just over a minute left to go in the first half, the Falcons moved the ball 35 yards on three plays to set up a 37-yard field goal by Moren to give the Greater Kingston champs a 18-7 halftime.

After winning the coin toss to start the second half, the Knights opted to play into the wind in the third quarter so they would have it at their backs coming home in the fourth. The key to their strategy was to outscore the Falcons in the third, or at least prevent Frontenac from increasing their lead.

The strategy quickly went south for the Kinights when O'Connor returned a punt 45 yards for a touchdown to increase the Falcons lead to 25-7. Incredibly, the Knights caught another break when the touchdown was called back after the Falcons were penalized for an illegal block.

Any sense of relief the Knights might have felt were quickly dispelled when Carnegie scampered 67 yards into the end zone on the very next play.

Things quickly went from bad to worse for the Knights when they fumbled the ball in the end zone on their next series trying to run a double reverse. Pat Conium fell on the loose ball to extend the Lions lead to 32-7.

Down but not out, the Knights answered back with their longest drive of the game, marching the ball 89 yards on nine plays. Molinski went 4-for-5 on the drive which was capped by a one-yard run by Johnny.

Still trailing 32-14, the Knights caught another huge break when Holder picked off Filson on the Falcons first play from scrimmage for his second interception of the game.

Molinski went straight back to work, completing four passes in a row to set up Johnny's second touchdown of the game. Despite coming up short on their two-point conversion attempt, the Knights trailed by just 12 points with a quarter of football left to play and the wind at their backs.

Unfortunately, what should have been an advantage turned into a curse when Molinski had trouble adjusting from throwing into the wind to throwing with it at his back. His first throw sailed 10 yards past the receiver. He then pulled the string on his second throw trying to compensate.

After the change of possession, the Falcons put together a 79-yard drive aided by a disastrous unnecessary roughness call against the Knights after Corey Constantini made a huge hit to stuff a third and two play.

The Falcons drive appeared to stall again on the Knights' 37-yard line, when they converted on third and seven. Four plays later, Filson left two would-be tacklers grabbing for air on the sideline as he tightroped into the end zone to put the Falcons up 39-20 and close the door and any hope for a St. Pete comeback.

To add further insult to injury, the Knights lost possession on the ensuing kickoff when a player turned his back on the ball only to have it hit the back of his heel and into the hands of the Falcons who immediately turned the miscue into another seven points and a 46-20 lead, which is how the game ended.

Knights head coach Jim Mick was blunt when summing up the loss.

"Mistakes. We just made too many mistakes. We tried to make a game of it and we chipped away a bit, but mistakes killed us," said Mick who still managed to a positive spin on the loss in the face of defeat. "When you're young sometimes you take a loss like this and devour it and learn how to win the next time around."

The Knights will be returning 20 players next year, including the big three on offense; Molinski, Pierre and Jaylen King, who had a solid game against the Falcons.

The team will be gunning for their fifth city championship in a row and a berth in the National Capital which they last won in 2009.

(Posted 12:30 p.m., Nov. 20)

Return to top

Return to Front Page



Click on image

Click on image




Orléans Online © 2001-2016 Sherwin Publishing