Volume 12 Week 5

Sunday, Feb. 17


Team of the Month

Posted Feb. 6

Posted Jan. 9

Posted Jan. 7


Orléans Ward
Matt Luloff

Beacon Hill,
Cyrville Ward
Tim Tierney

High School Football
St. Matt Tigers improve to 2-0 with lopsided win over St. Mark
By Fred Sherwin

The St. Matthew Tigers are on a tear. One week after shocking the St. Peter Knights 28-21 in the season opener for both teams, the Tigers manhandled the St. Mark Lions on Friday to improve their record to 2-0.

Just as they did in last week's game against the Knights, the Tigers jumped.out to a 21-0 lead against the Lions, but unlike last week they didn't allow the Lions to mount a comeback. In fact, they didn't let the Lions in the game at all.

St. Matt's receiver Willy Dimbongi carries the ball on the way to the Tigers second touchdown in their 44-0 win over the St. Mark Lions. Fred Sherwin/Photo

The Tigers scored a touchdown on each of their first four possessions of the game and none of the touchdown drives took more than four plays.

St. Matt's first touchdown was scored by Grade 12 Calgary transfer Ted Kubongo who ran the ball in from 25 yards out on the Tigers' third play from scrimmage.

Their second touchdown drive took just four plays with the final blow being delivered by Jonathan Mufuta who ran the ball in from the one yard line.

After the Lions failed to pick up a first down for the third possession in a row, they elected to put the ball into the hands of Kian Williams who returned it 70 yards for a touchdown, only to have it called back due to an illegal block.

It was the first of five touchdowns the Tigers had called back in the first half and each time they responded with a touchdown that wasn't called back.

After Williams' touchdown return was negated by a penalty, Tigers' quarterback Xavier Gervais hooked up with receiver Willy Dimbongi for a 50-yard touchdown strike to improve their lead to 21-0.

The Lions were forced to give up a safety on their next possession, and after the Tigers regained possession following the ensuing kickoff, Jacob Lepensée made a spectacular 73-yard run down the right side line to give St. Matts a 30-0 lead.

The Tigers' final touchdown of the second half came after they had two touchdowns called back on successive penalties. Facing a third down and 23 with less than a minute to go in the second quarter, St. Matt's elected to go for it, putting the ball into Mufuta's hands who ran 47 yards down the right sideline before cutting back across the entire width of the field and bowling over a would-be St. Mark tackler on his way into the end zone.

The Tigers would add one more touchdown in the second half to make the final score 44-0.

It was an impressive offensive display by a team that has several weapons at their disposal with three quality running backs, an experience quarterback with an above average arm and pair of speedy receivers with great hands.

But as impressive as the Tigers' offence was against St. Mark, it was their defence that shone even brighter, leading one Lion player to comment that he regretted not transferring to St. Matts as he walked by their bench.

The defence allowed just four first downs and more often than not were making tackles five and 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

The Tigers next game is against Franco Cité on Oct. 7 when their biggest challenge wlll be to refrain from looking ahead to their rematch against the St. Peter Knights the following Friday.

St. Matts manhandled the defending city champions for the better part of the first half in their initial meeting on Sept. 23, before the Knights battled back to make it a one possession game. The rematch could very likely be a preview of the championship game.

(Posted 3 p.m., Sept. 25)


Visit www.orleansonline.ca's main page





Click on image

Click on image



Orleans Online © 2001-2014 Sherwin Publishing